Health inspectors found a large rat hole, droppings and gnawed bags of flour at the store (Picture: BPM)

A branch of KFC was closed on the spot after rats were found living in the kitchen.

Large droppings, gnawed bags of flour and extremely poor levels of hygiene were discovered in areas where food was being stored, prepped and cooked.

Inspectors were so horrified they found the restaurant in Leytonstone, East London, posed an imminent risk to health.

Franchise owner Triple D Limited and director have now been fined £25,000 after admitting he didn’t have adequate procedures in place and poor cleanliness.

The KFC was closed with immediate effect in August 2022 following a visit by inspectors from Waltham Forest Council.

Councillor Khevyn Limbajee said: ‘For a franchise under the brand of KFC this was a terrible breach of trust.

The store was immediately shut on the grounds of an imminent risk to health (Picture: MyLondon/BPM)
Rat droppings were found in the kitchen (Picture: MyLondon/BPM)
Gnawed bags of flour were found in the kitchen (Picture: Waltham Forest Council)
The restaurant had extremely poor levels of hygiene (Picture: Waltham Forest Council)
The KFC was closed with immediate effect in August 2022 (Picture: Waltham Forest Council)

‘With so many people ordering their food online these days they would have no idea what the state of the kitchens were like.

‘We are pleased the magistrates have sent a clear message by issuing a significant fine.

‘Waltham Forest Council will always act to protect the health of the public and prosecute food businesses where evidence identifies breaches of food safety laws.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.


MORE : Woman, 70, ‘scared to leave home’ after sex attack near busy park


MORE : Talented ballet dancer killed in plane crash after pilot pulled wrong levers


MORE : Mind-blowing new image shows off our black hole like never seen before